Thursday, November 13, 2008

Book Worm

So I've been slowly getting my mind around the idea that books are becoming digital. I'm one of those people that finds comfort in shelves and shelves of books. Libraries just feel right.

So why do eBook Readers appeal to me? Well, because it sounds so convenient. It'll definitely save space, help conserve trees, and save me money (in the long run). I'd probably still buy the occasional book, just to maintain that bibliophile look I've got going in my apartment, but the majority of my reading could be done from a reader.

The biggest problem is figuring out which one. There's more on the market than I thought there would be. The Amazon Kindle doesn't appeal to me because the wireless capability doesn't work in Canada and it you have to buy their books. The Sony Reader doesn't have wireless either but it is $50 cheaper. Also, it seems to support more file formats. Wikipedia lists a few more but they don't seem to have a lot in the way of battery life. Frankly, I don't know which is the best buy; they all seem to have the same basic features.

Personally, I'd like a device that is easily portable and serves all the functions I'd like to use on the go. A reader, a browser, a phone, a camera, a notepad, an organizer all this and a device that interfaces with my email, igoogle, blog, what have you. But I think that's going to take a little while longer :)

For now I guess I just have to carry them all around separately in my very large purse :P

No comments: